Monday, October 1, 2018

Zoxe Project Status - September 2018



Welcome to another ZPS!  This intro part is where I normally type about how quickly the month went.  But I'll surprise you by saying that September was a good month.  The temperatures finally broke, we had a good mix of wet weather and dry, and I felt like I was gaining ground on many facets of work/life despite being on the road 3 of the 4 weekends.

I should also note that this marks 1 year of doing Zoxe Project Statuses

1. On the Table:
  • Dropfleet Commander - I'm still working on the UCM Cruisers.  I'm having a huge case of the "meh's" when it comes to the panel lines, but overall I'm really happy with how they're looking.  But I've admittedly set them aside over the past week just to paint something other than gray.  I really want to get this project done, so I'm going to devote some time week after next and hopefully crank them the rest of the way through.
  • Shadows of Brimstone Sand Kraken - In the next day or two, I'll post a Hot off the Desk for the Sand Kraken.  Not my favorite sculpt, but really fun to paint and a great excuse to try some new and different colors (including some neon green and orange hues).
  • Shadows of Brimstone Nun with a Gun - I've had a lot of SoB waiting in my pile of shame for quite awhile ... but I currently have the Nun (alternate Priest) on the table.  There's a story behind this model; it's kind of a pivotal moment and could mark a shift in what I work on the rest of the calendar year.

    /storymode:  In the last gasps of 2016, I batch primed (rattle can) quite a few SoB minis to get me through the winter (since we couldn't rattle-can inside very well during cold weather).  Everything went well, until I grabbed the can of White.  That particular can of white shot like Christmas tree flock combined with silly string.  Super thick, super puffy, and really disheartening considering the target was a batch of (expensive and rare) SoB resin figures, including the Nun.  I cleaned them off the best I could, but they were a mess, and didn't paint anything for about 6 months. 

    Fast forward: I now use an airbrush and have upped my game all around, BUT those figures are still in the pile awaiting their turn.  I have an SoB campaign that I want to run - using the Priest/Nun - and groaned when I realized that the Nun was in the pile of rattle can misery.  BUT, I was able to clean her off with just a little isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.  I've currently got her reprimed and basecoated, and the sassy ol' Nun with a Gun will be posted here in the next week or two.
2. Gaining Momentum:
  • Fall Chores - It maybe sounds weird, but I look forward to working outdoors in the late fall and early winter.  Cold weather has always been my friend.  I've got several things around our 10 acres that are queued up and ready to go once the leaves are starting to fall.
  • Warmahordes - I bought a pair of the warehouse clearance that some of you may have been aware of.  For $59, you got $240ish (MSRP) worth of models as a blind grab bag.  I still don't intend to play, but I really love their sculpts.  I got Cryx and Cygnar and then quickly traded my Cygnar for Ret with a coworker.
3. Losing Traction:
  • KDM Wave 2 - I'll leave this here (again); no shipping updates yet on Wave 3 and I've yet to have need for any of the expansions.  I love the KD universe, but kind of have the idea of clearing away the SoB backlog before I uncrack the classic KDM expansions.
4. Going, going, gone.
  • N/A 

No comments:

Post a Comment