Saturday, October 27, 2018

Hot off the Desk: ORG011 Broken Token Card Organizer


Broken Token ORG011 and Hobby Lobby #125005 Artist's Supply Case.

This will be a two part post about Shadows of Brimstone storage.  Consider this Part I.

Background:  Over the past few weeks, I've been hauling all of my Shadows of Brimstone out of its various hiding places around the house.  I've acquired quite a bit of SoB, and over the years and my storage solution has been one of laziness and desperation:  a few expansions in this closet, a core box in that cabinet, card decks and tokens over here, and painted minis over there.

Enough was enough, it was time to condense, consolidate, inventory, and organize!

I'll tackle other aspects of SoB in Part II, but one of the first steps was to sort through all the expansions and get all of the cards in the same spot.  The result was sobering and very quickly overwhelmed my previous storage solution.  😆

I also decided that I wanted to sleeve the whole mess - which will help me in the long run but the thicker cards will now take up more room.

I also had the scary thought that SOMEDAY I will have my Forbidden Fortress pledge that I'll also need to integrate and store.  All jokes aside about FFG's ability to deliver pledges, it will get here someday, and I could spend a lot of money on storage solutions that don't scale well to additional content.

Alas, what to do?  Broken Token to the rescue!

In their high-volume card organizer section, BT offers a pair of card trays that fit into an "off the shelf" briefcase-sized box available from Hobby Lobby.  They offer the complete box as a turnkey option on their web page, or you can buy just the tray and source the Artist's Supply Case separately.

I chose the second option. Here are the materials I sourced:
  • Hobby Lobby #125005 Artist's Supply Case
  • Broken Token ORG011 Standard-Sized Card Organizer
  • Broken Token DIV027 Extra Dividers (x2)

Close up shot of the ORG011 Pacakging

ORG011 Contents spread out a little.

With the ever-present 40% coupon, the Case cost me about $16 at the local Hobby Lobby, and then I made a separate order to BT for the Organizer and extra card dividers.  The BT order was about $45 shipped, so I'm into this for less than $60.

Assembly Notes:
  • Since I sourced my own Case, I needed to remove the bits and guts that come inside.  There's a pretty nice tray that just lifts out, and a medium phillip's screwdriver is needed to remove the swing-tray.
  • The BT parts were the typical laser-cut light plywood.  My Organizer was very clean.  Learning from the Gloomhaven org, I scored the connecting points to the "sprue" with an X-acto knife to minimize splintering.
  • I didn't have any particular problems with assembling the bits and didn't need any tape, but if this is your first BT kit I recommend you use masking tape to help secure the corners and other interconnects until you get the entire frame together.
  • The tray slides into the case pretty easily, but it's a snug fit.  If you use tape, tape on the INSIDE corners or you may have clearance isues.
  • The Card Dividers that came with my Organizer slide in and out easily, but my spares are a little thicker and are a tight fit.  They work, but only barely.
  • From start to finish, I had maybe 30 minutes in assembly time.

Bare tray slid into the case.  It's a snug fit, but mine went together great.

Here are the Card Dividers that come with the kit.  I bought extras to give me some better sorting options.

I'm really happy with the results.  With the extra dividers, I can separate each expansion's content into its own cubbyhole.  Also, each "column" of the case serves as a different card type.  From L-R: Threat cards, Artifacts, Encounters, Map decks, and on the far right are the 'common' cards (Scavenge, Darkness, Growing Dread, Gear, Starting Gear).

I think I'll be able to leave most of the cards in the case and just pull what I need on the fly during gaming sessions.  This should keep the tabletop clutter down just a bit, and expedite cleanup.

Honestly, I was a little surprised that I filled as much of the case as I did straight out of the gate, but it looks worse than it is.  There's still a lot of room in there.

My SoB cards initially populated.  At this point I've sleeved about half of the game and I'll continue to optimize.

A lower angle shot of the cards.  The sleeved cards look tightly packed but they're not.  Sleeves naturally "poof" into the space they're allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment