Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Hot off the Desk: DGS Games Kuzaarik Stoneclaw Savage

Dwarven calvary! Rawr!

You've already seen the finished product in the prior post.  We're headed to Reapercon this weekend so I'll set this to robo-post while I'm away.


This was my first serious attempt painting a metal mini.  Model prep tasks (mold line and flash removal) were a little different, but basically just required files instead of the hobby knife.  Overall it went well, though I think I prefer plastic.

I didn't take a ton of pictures throughout the process - I was under the gun and this was truly a test of my ability to stay motivated.  But let's see what we've got to share.

As a single figure, I used a ton of different colors (compared to an Army where I might need to replicate a scheme years later).  I won't try to recount everything here.  It's a mix of Badger Stynlez primer, Reaper and AP main colors, and Scale75 metallics (golds, in particular).  I relied on old favorites (Reaper Rusty Red, AP Gun Metal and Plate Mail Metal) and tried some newer ones (Reaper khaki triad).

I also found that Reaper Carbon Gray is a happy alternate to my old favorite AP Necromancer Cloak.  I love AP Necro Cloak, but Reaper is a better consistency from the bottle.

Assembled model. I pinned the arms to the torso with bits of paperclip and used a little Aves Apoxie Sculpt to close the gap between the pieces.  I also filled the gap between the rider and the bear and fixed a fill void on the back satchel.

I used 2-part epoxy to glue the metal rock ledge to the plastic base, then added some details.  Larger rocks are kitty litter (unused, hah), attached first with superglue, and the smaller brown rocks are from Secret Weapon and held down with Elmer's school glue.  The skulls are from FreeBooter Miniatures.

Mostly done. Rider is mostly detailed and I'm giving the fur a wash of AP Strong Tone.

First pass at the fur. Did not dry brush this; each tuft of fur is painted with 2-3 colors (plus the shaded basecoat) for depth.
Finished model. Cleaned up shading and highlights with the airbrush (Liquitex Titanium White ink on the fur), detailed the base, and added the custom made Walnut figure tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment