Monday, September 4, 2017

Hot off the Desk: Trederran Lieutenants and Grenadiers

Here's the first installment of HotD.  Today we're working on Shadows of Brimstone Trederra Deluxe Expansion.

Source of Inspiration

Editor's Note:  HotD is intended to be a series of pics as things come off my painting table.  They're posted not as a "look how great I can paint" but as a future resource to other SoB painters.  My standard of painting is "decently boardgame" and will win no contests.

As I continue to work my backlog of Shadows of Brimstone figures, I'm neck deep in the Trederra expansion.  I assembled the contents of this sprawling expansion as last winter was setting in and managed to get them primed outside.  I'm only now digging out of that priming blitz (just in time for snow to come once again).

Apologies in advance for the blurry cell phone pics.

Work in progress shot, just before Dark Tone wash.  A better work surface will be here this week.

Fun to paint, lots of little details to pull out. The sprue gives three options for the left arm, I used one of each.

Grenadiers ready for action. With the LT's done, I may go back and pick out some of the detail I omitted (these were completed before the LTs).  The green armor leg panels and helmet is a light wash of green over the Pistol Silver and gives a nice "Candy Apple Green" effect.

The whole crew.

This isn't intended to be a detailed how-to, but I will give a few notes:

  • I used ArmyPainter Matt Black rattle can for priming. 
  • Browns are SoB Dark Flesh highlighted with Leather Brown after wash.  
  • Dark Tone Ink is used for all the washes.  
  • The Jargono green does NOT cover over the Matt Black primer very well at all, so I based anything that would be black with Necromancer Cloak first.
  • Yes, I paint all of my SoB figures without mounting them to the bases.  This was a decision I made with the original core set and have decided to carry it through.

The bulk of the other colors are found in the ArmyPainter Brimstone kits, with a few important exceptions:

  • AP Necromancer Cloak is the dark gray that's used on the LT's helm, gloves, phone, and pants. It's my new favorite gray.
  • AP Phoenix Flames is used for the helmet lenses.  It's a very awesome yellow.
  • Silver areas are based in SoB Pistol Metal (from the paint set) but highlighted after wash with AP Plate Mail Metal, which is a little brighter.
  • P3 Brass Balls is used on anything that looks like brass (notably the Lieutenants' tank and air lines)
  • P3 Molten Bronze is used on copper things (notably the Grenadier's tank and air lines)

I'm reasonably happy with the results, given my intended standard of painting.  The LT's in particular were more fun than I expected and I enjoyed pulling some of the finer details out.


What's next?  I won't list the things I have waiting.  It's depressing.  Though I will say that I cracked the Derelict Ship box a few minutes ago and have the Autoturrets trimmed and glued.  

And then there's the other half of the Trederran expansion waiting.


Oh, and happy Labor Day to folks in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment