Monday, November 12, 2018

Hot off the Desk: Shadows of Brimstone Doomsday Device

Ready for some Doom(tm).


This one is so fresh that I'm not sure the last bits of paint are actually cured.

I bought the Doomsday Device when it first became available, and put it on the shelf.  I suppose it didn't strike me as the most interesting piece, and it sat there for 2 (if not 3?) years. 

However, more recently, I've been playing with Airbrushing and inks and weathering.  Aha! Now it's the perfect subject of a quick project.

I intentionally didn't make all the model prep perfect.  Apparently, the master for this model is 3D printed, as the telltale line texture is found throughout.  Also, I can tell that my particular mold was pretty rough; most of the underhangs were starting to tear out.  I scraped a bit, and gave it a couple of layers of Vallejo Matt Varnish to smooth the worst of the worst.  But in the end, this was supposed to be a fast project to get some terrain on the table.

All four pieces started with black Stynlrez primer and then a 3-color stack of greens applied with the airbrush.  I was going for more of a lime green than a John Deere green, so I also applied some Vivid Lime Green ink as a highlight.

Here the smaller parts are basecoated.  The gold hoses are a blend of AP Stone Brown, Scale 75 Necro Gold, and S75 Dwarven Gold for a highlight.  First use of the S75 paints - they lived up to expectations and worked really well.

WIP shot, still working on gold bits.

I decided that the center vent-thing-whatever was actually a Darkstone Reactor.  I went in with the Sotar (airbrush) and applied a blast of Reaper Pure White, then AP Darkstone Purple (from the SoB set), then another dash of pure White in the center.

More colors added for bits.  Here I'm about to start weathering/shading. I would later decide that the reactors needed a splash of yellow to be convincing.

Basecoating is done on the big piece, you can see the yellow splash in the reactors here.  I'm also starting to shade in the silver stacks.
 
Ready for shading.  Adding S75 Necro Gold to all the rivets really brought this piece to life.
 
Complete set, on the Derelict Ship map tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment