Saturday, September 1, 2018

ZPS - August 2018


UCM Frigates - Done!

August came and went in a flash.  Work had me on the road quite a bit, and I've struggled to keep any sort of momentum at the office.  It seems like GenCon was a long time ago, but it's only been a few weeks.

1. On the Table:
I feel like I've gotten a lot done, but these piddly little entries don't quite do it justice.

  • Miniature Monthly Masters Contest Entry - After GenCon, I was planning to get back to Dropfleet Commander (DFC) cruisers and capital ships, but decided to put an entry into this contest.  As a single figure, it is probably a personal best and while I'm hoping to be competitive, I don't expect to place.  I'm super happy with the results, though.  I'll post pictures after the results, but it's been a good chance to use some new colors and try some new things.
  • Dropfleet Commander - The frigates are DONE and the cruisers and capital ships are airbrush-basecoated and shaded.  Now that MM-Masters submission in, I've pulled them back to the front of the queue and am starting to pick out details before I mask all the accent stripes. 
  • ReaperCon - We're actually at ReaperCon RIGHT NOW!  I set this post to robo-post while we're away.  Looking forward to a few painting classes, and maybe some tabletop RPGs.

2. Gaining Momentum:
  • Magic: the Gathering - Bought some cards on a whim after being away for almost 15 years.  I have no intention of playing competitively at the FLGS, but a few pickup games around the house have been fun.  I'd hoped to get some MTG in at GenCon but the stars didn't align (but that's okay).  For where we're at, their preconstructed decks are pretty fun and work okay for a weeknight brawl.

3. Losing Traction:
  • Gloomhaven - Wish we had time to continue our campaign.  Weekends lately have been mowing, painting, and recovery.  Weeknights have been no good for long gaming sessions either.
  • KDM Wave 2 - Also wish I had more time to dig into these, but reality is reality.  After the DFC ships are done, these are next, but realistically I don't expect to get to them for several weeks.

4. Going, going, gone.
  • Summer - Labor Day marks the end of another summer (even though Fall doesn't technically begin for another few weeks).  I'm okay with this.  Summer is my least favorite season - humidity and bugs and mowing the lawn.  There's also this underlying peer pressure (reinforced by the marketing gurus at Lowes, Home Depot, and Bud Light) that Summer is supposed to be "fun" with lots of time outside being social.  Honestly, I'd rather be outside in October and November when the temperatures are nice.  I'm looking forward to splitting wood, running the chainsaw, and some crisp dry mornings.  So screw you, Summer, and get the heck out of here already.

No comments:

Post a Comment