Sunday, July 29, 2018

Hot off the Desk: Dropfleet Commander UCM Frigates and Corvettes

UCM Santiago Corvettes on patrol. 

Quick post, mostly pictures.  Although I'm not fighting for UCM at Gencon this year, I'm still pressing at "best possible speed" through the rest of the project.  This morning I managed to clear up some real estate on the bench by getting all the UCM Frigates and Corvettes mounted on their pegs.  The capital ships (Crusiers, Battlecruisers, and Battleships) are also now well on their way, but that's a post for another day.

I'm pretty happy with how they came out; will thank Aaron Lovejoy at Miniature Monthly for pressing me to push my own boundaries in terms of process and color selection.  When I set out, I didn't expect to do any masking/striping of the hulls, and the (limited) weathering and engine smut that I did was also unplanned.

Once I'd done the test cruiser, it was apparent that masking and striping these hulls was entirely do-able, and actually gave some flavor of the "dazzle" camouflage schemes tried by the major navies when my grandpa was a kid.  (Although it seemed like a great idea, it was perhaps the most time consuming part of the painting process....).

By the numbers, this is well over half my fleet (11 hulls total) but by total surface it's not even close to half.

I'm not quite happy with these pictures, but they're not bad for a Sunday afternoon after I've had a double rye....  :)

Santiago: Top view.  The Reaper Misty Gray tips were painted by hand, the Reaper Rusty Red stripe was masked and airbrushed.

Reverse view.  Engine smut was applied with the Sotar 2020 airbrush.

UCM Jakarta missile frigate.  These guys were real jerks to stripe because of the launchers, so I punted and striped the bridge structure.  I liked it so well I went back and painted the other bridge structures the same way.

Jakarta front, UCM New Orleans class dropships rear.

Jakarta and New Orleans rear view.

Four UCM Toulon class gunboats. 
UCM Toulon front view.


UCM Toulon - Side view.

UCM Toulon - Rear 3/4 view.

UCM Toulon - top view.

No comments:

Post a Comment