Saturday, November 25, 2017

Hot off the Desk: KDM Screaming Antelope

Antelope: Ready for all the Empire Strikes Back Tauntaun jokes you can muster.

The Antelope has been the most straightforward KDM model to build and paint so far.  I actually started him after the Lion, but due to the filling work required to get the Lion's gaps happy, I ended up bring them through the airbrush booth together.

The build process is generally the same as the Starting Survivors and the Lion, so I won't repeat myself.

You'll notice no ears in this picture!  Oops!
Three build notes:
  1. I missed the ears on the sprue entirely. Had I not been following the build notes, I would have had a Deaf Screaming Antelope.  Thankfully I noticed before I started priming.
  2. For whatever reason, his right ear just would not go into the friggin' skull and required some excessive trimming.
  3. I took the risk and didn't pin the feet to the base. I did, however, lightly sand the mating surfaces on the back hooves to ensure a good roughed-up flat surface.  I used plenty of cement, and after it cured I (carefully!) put a fillet of cement behind the hooves to reinforce.  Time will tell if this is sufficient.  
Colors are similar to the Lion:

Vallejo Surface Primer - Black
Zenithal highlighting in 3 steps
1) ArmyPainter Necromancer Cloak
2) AP Wolf Gray
3) AP Gorgun Hide

Vallejo Surface Primer - Black

AP Necromancer Cloak

No picture of the AP Wolf Gray going down, but here's the Gorgun Hide.


Reaper Black Wash followed by dry brushing AP Gorgun Hide.

Learning my lesson from the Lion, I thinned the Reaper Black Wash about 2:1 with distilled water (10 drops of wash to 5 drops of water).  I tried it 50/50 and decided it was too thin.

Dry brushing was Gorgun Hide all over, and then a 2nd pass with AP Crystal Blue in the face and front of the body.

Finished Product, looking mighty.

Side view.

No comments:

Post a Comment