Saturday, December 23, 2017

Hot off the Desk: KDM King's Man and the Hand

Finished product.

Confession time.  I've had these models completed for the better part of two weeks.  I wasn't happy with the initial volley of pictures that I took, and hesitated to complete this entry.

So I guess this is more of a "lukewarm off the desk."

Anyway, here are the King's Man and the Hand from Kingdom Death: Monster.  Two of my favorite models to assemble, and pretty straightfward to paint.

In fact, I painted them a the same time as the Butcher, so I'll refer you to that ramble for the details and colors.  And as of a few minutes ago, I have updated that post with a few additional pictures.

Build Notes:
  • Nothing specific.  Usual guidance to take your time and dry fit everything, pay attention to mold lines and trim mating surfaces carefully always applies.
Color Choices:
  • Same as the Butcher, but in general:
    • I'm building shadows with an airbrush with progressively lighter layers of grays.
    • With each color, I'm spraying from a more and more narrow angle, with the brightest color applied almost vertically.
  • With the lack of bone armor on these two, I wanted a little more of a metallic feel, so I hit them a little harder with the AP Platemail Metal while dry brushing.
And with that, we'll get on with the pictures!


Assembled but naked models, ready for priming.

Vallejo Surface Primer done.

Building Shadows:  AP Necromancer Cloak. Sweep from vertical to parallel with the table.

Building Shadows:  AP Uniform Gray.  Sweep from vertical to about 45 degrees to the table.

Building Shadows:  AP Gorgun Hide applied.  Shoot almost vertically.

Reaper Black Wash applied on the right vs. no wash on the left.

Beginning to dry brush.  Here I've applied the Reaper Gunmetal Blue and am doing a light test.

Mostly complete. I went back and forth several times balancing the right amount of silver, gray, and Gorgun Hide.

The Hand:  rear view. 

The Hand:  right side view.


The Hand:  front view.

King;s Man:  front left view.

King's Man:  rear view.

No comments:

Post a Comment